If I am going to be quite honest, I have been in quite the funk lately. I have a history of anxiety and depression, and lately, I have been having “flare ups.” Part of this is definitely attributed to my job (I am a mental health paraprofessional, working on-one-on with kids) and part of it is attributed to just general life things. Lately, I have been relying on my essential oils more and more to keep myself grounded.
This post is about what individual oils or blends I enjoy when I am feeling blue.
Individual Oils (with these, I either put them on an inhaler, just smell them from the bottle, or even diffuse them):
- Peppermint: Possibly my go-to essential oil for just about everything that ails me. I find this oil especially uplifting and comforting. Something about it just makes me feel more positive, focused, and ready to face the day.
- Bergamot: A subtle citrus scent that goes well by itself or blended with just about any other oil I have. I find that the subtle citrus (rather than the “louder” citrus oils such as lime, lemon, and grapefruit) is uplifting.
- Lavender: You really can’t go wrong with this do-it-all oil. I use it for sleep, anxiety, depression, stress, just because I can…honestly, this oil is perfect for everything.
Blends (I use Fabulous Frannie oil blends, so all of the names are from that brand, but I will list the ingredients so you can find a comparable one or make one yourself):
- Renew: a blend of clove, peppermint, orange, lavender, rosemary, and eucalyptus. This blend is so warming and comforting. When I am feeling especially out of sorts, this is probably my #1 choice as far as blends go. My mind just feels duct taped back together when I smell this one.
- MBS (Mind Body Spirit): a blend of orange, clove, Ylang Ylang, & Amyris. I use this blend mainly for meditation. It’s a very bright scent and it helps keep me focused and in a positive mood.
- Woods: a blend of pine, fir needle, & cedarwood. This blend smells just like a forest. For some, that may not be something that’s uplifting. For me, I find my peace and my spirit in nature (do I sound like a hippy yet?). For those days when I am too busy to go out on the parkway (I live in the mountains), I use this blend to really ground me and make me feel like everything is going to be okay.
- Happy: a blend of bergamot, grapefruit, & Ylang Ylang. I use this blend when I need a quick pick-me-up. It’s very bright and citrusy. Ironically, I am not always a fan of this blend when I need to feel happier about life. I enjoy the scent well enough, but sometimes, it’s just too much for me. The reason I am including is because when I can handle this scent, it’s remarkable how well it works.
I hope you guys found this post helpful! When you are feeling down in the dumps, what are some essential oils you turn to?